It’s been a long time since I had to fletch my arrows. Think back to high school long. 🙂 Alas, now that I’m back to somewhat regular practice I’ve managed to mess a few vanes up and figured it was about time to do something about it rather than to keep shooting them.
Before heading out for a weekend campout I noticed an ad at the bowhunting.com forums for the Arizona EZ-Fletch Mini which was on last year’s Christmas list. The price was right so I said I’d take it and headed over to Amazon to snag 100 Blazer vanes in three colors. Everything was waiting for me when I got home this afternoon so despite the overwhelming desire to take a nap, I chose to fix one of the arrows that had a chunk missing out of the vane.
As I suspected, the factory alignment didn’t match the EZ-Fletch so the first thing I did was strip the shaft bare. I was pleasantly surprised that the two good vanes came off on good shape so I’m pretty confident that I’ll be able to reuse them down the road.
Of course you put the cock vane in the lighter colored arm. I found that a) my eyes suck and I need to wear glasses when applying vane glue and b) the vanes like to move when applying the glue. The first attempt was a bit messier than I’d hoped. Once the glue is applied insert the shaft until the nock rests on the plastic guide inside. Twist the bottom of the EZ-Fletch and the arms close around the shaft. Slide the holder dooohickey over the end of the arrow shaft and onto the arms to hold them in place. Wait the recommended time for your glue of choice before removing your freshly fletched arrow.
Remove the arrow from the EZ-Fletch and admire your work. I used a few Q-tips to clean up the extra glue. I’m wondering if I should use something like acetone to actually clean it off rather than simply spreading it around but I’m not sure if that’ll adversely affect the glue I want to stay put.
Next stop was out to the backyard for a quick 20-yard test.
And the crowd goes wild!